I caught a summer cold. But, I used the Warming Socks Technique last night and while I still have the cold… my itchy sore throat is GONE. I will do this technique until the cold goes away. I thought it would be good to share on here as apparently this cold is going around. I got this technique from a naturopath I saw when I lived in Vancouver. I have been using it for about 15 years — and it works EVERY TIME.
- Make sure your feet are warm first — if they are not warm — soak them in warm/hot water for 5-10 minutes to warm them up first. THIS IS IMPORTANT! I sometimes take a hot shower.
- Soak 1 pair of light/medium weight cotton socks in cold water, wring them out, and put them on.
- Put a DRY pair of heavy wool socks (I am allergic to wool so I just use heavy cotton socks) on over top of the wet socks.
- Go to bed. Leave the socks on while you sleep. (If you wake up really HOT because your feet are dry — you can remove them)
- Increases circulation
- Decreases congestion in upper respiratory passages
- Can be relaxing and sedating — I sleep like a BABY
- Said to be good for pain relief too — haven’t tried this though – let us know if you try it.
- It feels weird for a few minutes, but soon you will not notice.
- For a bad sore throat I have had to do it a few nights in a row — but it feels much better daily.
- I have used this as preventative as well — while traveling with someone who had a sore throat I did this daily to make sure that I didn’t wake up with their sore throat. It worked.